Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Once Upon a Read-a-thon Updates - It's all over

Once Upon a Read-a-Thon



So, I kind of EPIC failed for Day 2. I didn't read at all, between work and sleeping and whatever. There goes any plans I had for getting a lot of reading done. (I did watch a little bit of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. Still keeping with the book theme a little bit.)

And on to the updates..... I read the end of Magic Burns and some of Dead Rules. Darn work and stuff.  :-(  I still had fun though. The challenges were pretty cool.


What I read....

I finished Magic Burns (Kate Daniels #2) by Ilona Andrews.
  • So that was about 2 hours of reading (I really need to stop leaving the TV on for background noise.....)
  • I read 87 pages cuz that's what was left.
I started Dead Rules by Randy Russell. It's cool so far. Getting to know the lay of the land and all that.
  • I read for 1 hour.
  • Now, I'm 70 pages into the book.
TOTALS
  • 3 hours of reading done. (Wow..... Definitely EPIC failed there. The read-a-thon was for 3 days and I don't managed to read 3 hours. Sadness..... Darn work!)
  • I read 157 pages. (If I would've started reading Dead Rules sooner, I know I would've flown right through it. Oh well.)
If I ever participate in another read-a-thon, I will do better! I'm determined to now. Always fun though!



Day 3 Challenge (from Books from Bleh to Basically Amazing): Recommendations

1. Recommend any book

I'm going to recommend a whole series. It is Chloe Neill's Chicagoland Vampires series. (The first book is Some Girls Bite.) I love the books. The main character, Merit, is snarky and one tough cookie. I love her snarkiness. I think it adds some good humor to the story. Speaking of Merit being tough, she has a freakin' sword and a dagger! I definitely wouldn't want to end up on the wrong end of her katana.

The books are also full of romantic tension. So if you like that kind of thing, you might enjoy the books. I kind of enjoy how the relationship isn't just super easy and super happy. I find myself completely frustrated right along with the characters. It's fun.


2. Recommend a book I read for the Read-a-thon

I recommend Dead Rules by Randy Russell. I've only read part of this, but so far it's quite awesome. I've seen some reviews of it that say it makes them think of something Tim Burton has done. As soon as I heard Tim Burton mentioned when referring to Dead Rules, I knew I had to read it. I absolutely love Tim Burton. I've only just started the book, but I am kind of getting a Tim Burton vibe from it. So, if you love Tim Burton, I think you might enjoy this book. Plus, it's something different. It's not vampires or werewolves. It's dead people at a dead school. Too cool.



Possible spoiler in my next Challenge answer! Don't say I didn't warn you!





Day 3 Challenge (from Wicked Awesome Books): Playing Matchmaker

This was kind of hard for me to figure out. For some reason, my mind completely blanked on book characters sort of. Stupid brain..... :-)

So, I've decided that I would match.....  

Claire Danvers from Rachel Caine's Morganville Vampires series

WITH

Matt Cavanaugh from Lisa Desrochers' Personal Demons series

(I've only read the first two Morganville Vampires books and the first Personal Demons book. Reading Original Sin this month though!)

Ok. From what little I know about Matt at the end of Personal Demons, he's a guardian angel. And after seeing all the trouble that Claire gets into in the first two books of the Morganville Vampires series, she could really use a guardian angel for a boyfriend. All those vampires are certainly not good for her health. Plus, I bet Matt would earn some major guardian angel points for keeping her safe from all those baddies.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for joining in on the Matchmaker mini challenge!

    I've never read the Morganville Vampires books, but I have read Personal Demons and I have a feeling I'm going to love Matt in Original Sin. Plus, everyone could use a guardian angel, right?

    ReplyDelete